Homeboykris: Remember when I ran in the Derby three years ago? - Matthew Stockman
An open thread for opening day at Gulfstream Park.
It's the beginning of December and opening day at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Florida. A ten race card in on tap for the first day of the meet, including the 2012 Claiming Crown.
Conditions are perfect at Gulfstream today; the main track is FAST and the turf course is FIRM.
- 7-Divine Luck takes the meet opener at Gulfstream Park with a strong final kick in the lane. The Queen's 1-Dawn Glory (GB) had a good trip but could only muster a second place finish.
- A big run by 5-Bold Dance at odds of 8/1 to take the second in fine fashion. 12-Drenched set the pace but had to work hard from a wide post to secure the lead and really hit the wall inside the final furlong. 4-Callmeback wasn't able to get the lead like I hoped and faded in the stretch.
The early Double pays a solid $34.80 for $1.
- The lay-off was no problem for the chalk in the 3rd as 1-Undrafted gets a perfect stalking trip right off of 3-Alpha Slew and powers home to win easily in his turf debut for Wesley Ward and Johnny V.
The Early Pick 3 comes back at $187.79.
- A huge run by 13-Brother Bird to win the Iron Horse from the 13-hole in the starting gate. I'm interested to see the Trakus ground loss data from this race.
The Early $0.50 Pick 4 comes back at $603.05.
- Looks like it's going to be a big day for the Ramseys and Mike Maker; 13-Bernie the Maestro's win in Race 6 gives them back-to-back Claiming Crown scores.
- Trakus tweeted some ground loss data on Brother Bird's win in Race 5:
How good was Brother Bird? Covered 48 ft > Jazzit to win Claiming Crown Iron Horse @gulfstreampark. First ever win for gate 13 at distance— Trakus (@TrakusRacing) December 1, 2012
- Very impressive win by the on-form 6-Starship Truffles in the Glass Slipper; she got into a speed duel in-between two pacesetters and then pulled away and used her superior stamina to crush the field at 5/1. Sweet race for a nice looking Marty Wolfson trainee. (And I finally cashed a winner on today's card! Been a struggle so far today.)
- Smooth (and patient) ride by Alan Garcia on 7-Starsilhoutte to win the Tiara with a big late run down the middle of the Gulfstream Park turf course. 6/1 on the winner.
- 2/1 second choice 1-Nikki's Sandcastle wins a head-bob finish with 3-Major Marvel to win the Emerald at 1 1/16 miles on inner turf.
- Heading into the final race on the card, here are the $0.50 Pick 5 Will Pays:
If you are alive in the Pick 5, you're in line for some serious iron if you cash out.
- 4-Parent's Honor wins the Claiming Crown Jewel at odds of 16/1 giving Ken & Sarah Ramsey four winners on the card. The win by the #4 keys a
$32k$16k payout in the $0.50 Pick 5. [Apparently, those Will Pays above are to $1 which is just... horrible. Show the Will Pays to the minimum bet!
- The $0.50 Pick 4 came back at $1,767.20; that seems a bit light when you consider that the four winners paid $12.20, $15.40, $6.80 and $34.40. In fact, that seems incredibly light.
|#||Post Time||Race||Age/Sex||Dist.||Surf.||Winner||$2 Win|
|1||12:45pm||MdSpWt||3up, f&m||8.5||Turf||7-Divine Luck||$7.00|
|3||1:41pm||Alw OC $75k||2yo||8.0||Turf||1-Undrafted||$7.80|
|5||2:37pm||CC Iron Horse||3up||8.5||Dirt||13-Brother Bird||$9.80|
|6||3:05pm||CC Rapid Transit||3up||7.0||Dirt||13-Bernie the Maestro||$7.40|
|7||3:35pm||CC Glass Slipper||3up, f&m||7.0||Dirt||6-Starship Truffles||$12.20|
|8||4:05pm||CC Tiara||3up, f&m||8.5||Turf||7-Starsilhouette||$15.40|
|9||4:35pm||CC Emerald||3up||8.5||Turf||1-Nikki's Sandcastle||$6.80|
|10||5:05pm||CC Jewel||3up||9.0||Dirt||4-Parent's Honor||$34.40|