Mucho Macho Man
The calendar turns to September on Saturday, bringing with it the end of the summer racing season and the start of the fall campaign towards the Breeders' Cup. Saratoga's final weekend features the Grade 1 Woodward Stakes at nine furlongs on the main track (Post Time: 5:45pm Eastern; TV: NBCSN), along with the G1-Forego and G2-Bernard Baruch Handicap. Among the horses in this year's Woodward are:
- Rule: Winner of the G2-Monmouth Cup at a mile but struggled mightily in the G1-Whitney. The Woodward is just his third start of 2012.
- Gourmet Dinner: Fourth in the Iselin last time out after winning the ungraded Majestic Light at Monmouth in the race prior. Hasn't won a graded stakes race since taking the G3-Delta Downs Jackpot as a juvenile in November of 2010.
- Mucho Macho Man: Winner of two graded stakes on the year, including the G2-Suburban in his most recent start (July 7th). Is currently in the best form of his career.
- Trickmeister: Has struggled against graded stakes company this year (5th in the G1-Whitney; 3rd in the G2-Suburban; 6th in the G1-Donn).
- Stay Thirsty: Ran up the track in the G2-Suburban (5th, beaten 13 1/2 lengths), and has only run twice in 2012. Won the Travers and Jim Dandy at Saratoga last summer.
To Honor and Serve: Notched a pair of graded wins at a mile last winter but has struggled din his last two races.
- Cease: Won an allowance/OC race at Saratoga in his last start but has done little of note against graded company in his career.
Below are the entries and post positions for Saturday's Woodward Stakes.
Morning line odds will be added later.
|G1-Woodward Stakes; Post Time: 5:45pm Eastern|
|1||Rule||R. Dominguez||T. Pletcher||12/1|
|2||Gourmet Dinner||A. Garcia||B. Brown||30/1|
|3||Mucho Macho Man||M. Smith||K. Ritvo||8/5|
|4||Trickmeister||I. Ortiz||R. Dutrow||6/1|
|5||Stay Thirsty||J. Castellano||T. Pletcher||5/1|
|6||To Honor and Serve||J. Velazquez||B. Mott||2/1|
|7||Cease||J. Roario||A. Stall||10/1|