2012 Santa Anita Derby winner Sidney's Candy is one of eleven horses to win a graded stakes race over a dirt, turf and synthetic surface since 2006.
A long while back, I started to put together a database of graded stakes winners since the start of 2006, a date I arbitrarily deemed as the start of the "Polytrack Era". I chose 2006 since that spring Keeneland conducted their first Poly meet, with Del Mar, Arlington, Hollywood, etc., following closely behind. One of the main purposes of the database is to track horses (and sires) that won graded stakes races across multiple surfaces.
As TFTribe and I discussed in last week's Final Furlongs Podcast, since the introduction of synthetic surfaces in North America, there have been many theories and/or misconceptions as to the ability (or lack thereof) for horses to run on multiple surfaces. At first, it appeared that turf horses performed best on synthetics and, in many cases, that was true. As the years have passed, however, many of the synthetic surfaces has begun to play much more like dirt than they did when first unveiled. Whether that's a result of maintenance, drainage or something completely different, there are many horses that have been able to win on both dirt and synthetic over the last few years.
As we get a little closer to the 2012 Keeneland Fall Meet I'm going to take a closer look at surface issue with respect to that track based on m Keeneland Polytrack database, but first I'd like to take a big picture look at multiple surface stakes winners since 2006.
UPDATE: Check out the website "Omnisurface Stars", which provides some discussion on this same topic and with some excellent data, including broodmare sire information (which I haven't gotten around to adding in my spreadsheet).
Some notes before I get to the spreadsheet link::
- Lava Man is the only horse in the "Polytrack Era" (2006 - present) to win a Grade 1 on dirt, turf and synthetic.
2006 G1-Santa Anita Handicap (D)
2006 G1-Whittingham Handicap (T)
2006 G1-Hollywood Gold Cup (D)
2006 G1-Pacific Classic (D)
2006 G1-Goodwood (D)
2007 G1-Santa Anita Handicap (D)
2007 G1 Hollywood Gold Cup (S)
- Candy Ride (ARG) has sired two of the
1211 horses to win a graded stake on all three surfaces since 2006: Sidney's Candy and Twirling Candy.
2010 G2-San Vicente (S)
2010 G2-San Felipe (S)
2010 G1-Santa Anita Derby (S)
2010 G2-La Jolla Handicap (T)
2010 G2-Sir Beaufort (D; Off the turf)
2011 G2-Fourstardave (T)
2010 G1-Malibu (D)
2010 G2-Del Mar Derby (T)
2011 G2-Strub (D)
2011 G2-Californian (S)
- Empire Maker has also sire two horses to win a graded stakes race on all three surface types: Acoma and Mushka.
2008 G3-Dobwood (D)
2008 G3-Pin Oak Valley View (T)
2008 G2-Mrs. Revere (T)
2009 G3-Azeri (D)
2009 G3-Mint Julep Handicap (T)
2009 G3-Cardinal Handicap (T)
2010 G1-Juddmonte Spinster (S)
2007 G2-Demoiselle (D)
2009 G3-Glens Falls (T)
2009 G1-Juddmonte Spinster (S)
- Indian Charlie has sired three horses to win graded stakes on dirt and synthetic (Conveyance, Indian Blessing, Indyanne) and one horse that won on turf and synthetic (Roxy Gap).
- A sign of War Front's success with runners on multiple surface, he has sired three horses to win graded stakes on multiple surfaces: Summer Soiree (Turf/Synthetic), The Factor (Dirt/Synthetic), and Soldat (Dirt/Turf).
- Not surprisingly, Dynaformer has sired two Dirt/Turf graded winners (Barbaro and Purim), and a Turf/Synthetic graded winner (Brilliant Speed), but no horses to win a graded stakes solely on dirt and synthetic.
- Tiznow has sired six different horses to win a graded stakes race on dirt and synthetic:
Tough Tiz's Sis
- The overall score card for winners over multiple surfaces? The numbers breakdown as follows:
Dirt & Turf: 32 horses
Dirt & Synthetic: 79 horses
Turf & Synthetic: 39 horses
Dirt, Turf & Synthetic: 11 horses
You can find the complete list of multiple surface winners at the document link below (via Google Docs). As usual, any and all errors are mine.