Game On Dude, unbeaten since his defeat at Santa Anita one year ago, drew post position nine and is the 8/5 morning line favorite to win the 2013 Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita Park on Saturday, November 2nd. (Post Time 8:25pm Eastern; TV: NBC). Defending champion Fort Larned drew post position seven and is the third choice on the morning line at odds of 6/1. Awesome Again Stakes winner Mucho Macho Man is the second choice on the morning line at odds of 5/1 and will break from post position six.
In the race immediately preceding this year's Classic, defending Horse of the Year Wise Dan drew post position eight and is the even money favorite to win the Breeders' Cup Mile. Top European raider Olympic Glory (IRE) is the second choice on the morning line at odds of 4/1.
Some random thoughts on the rest of the draw:
- A little surprising that Vorda (FR) is the favorite in the Juvenile Fillies Turf over My Conquestadory. Personally, I like Vorda a lot in this race but I figured My Conquestadory would be the ML favorite given her win versus the boy at Woodbine and her sparkling victory at Keeneland last time out. That being said: 4/1 on Vorda? Yes, please.
- The Dirt Mile looks like it's going to be a great race. Verrazano is the 3/1 ML favorite but there are a lot of options to be had if you think he's vulnerable in this spot.
- I just couldn't take 8/5 on Game On Dude in the Classic; those odds just seem too low to me. I have not problem with this horse as the favorite but 5/2 is much more reasonable price than 8/5.
- I kind of figured Princess of Sylmar would get the edge over Royal Delta especially with Beholder drawing outside of the two-time defending Distaff champion. And...
That's a great draw for Gary Stevens and Beholder.
- Defending Turf Spring champ Mizdirection also got a great draw, as did Unbridled's Note. The high numbered posts on the downhill are along the inside for the first "easy" turn, and while they are on the outside of the second turn, the field is typically well-strung out, thus minimizing ground loss.
- Unbridled's Note at 8/1 could be a very nice price.
- I hate to play chalk on Breeders' Cup weekend but it's going to be hard to get away from Dank (GB) and The Fuge (GB) in the F&M Turf and Turf.
You can find all of the 2013 Breeders' Cup entries, post positions and morning line odds via the link below:
Time to start handicapping!