Beholder, stalking off the early pace of Authenticity and Royal Delta through the first half mile, rolled to the front of the field coming off the far turn and rolled home to win the Breeders' Cup Distaff. Two-time defending champion Royal Delta dropped off the pace before the field hit the far turn and never threatened the winner and finished fourth. Close Hatches ran on well to fished second while Authenticity rounded out the trifecta.
Gary Stevens. Talk about a hell of a ride by a jockey on a such a hot streak since he came back to riding this past year. The main track bias at Santa Anita was strong today and Stevens took advantage but didn't overplay his hand. Instead of sending Beholder hard to the lead he was content to let other fillies go hard early and then take command of the race as the field ran into the final turn. A great ride for a great rider.
As for Princess of Sylmar, the bias was working against her from the start as you're not going to close and win at Santa Anita this weekend. On top of that, she stumbled badly leaving the starting gate; that's certainly a major disappointment.
Below are the results and payouts from the Breeders' Cup Distaff:
|Base||Bet||Combo||Payout||Pays to -|
More from And Down The Stretch They Come:
- 2013 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf Results: Chriselliam dominates her rivals
- 2013 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile Results: Goldencents gate to wire
- 2013 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Results: Outstrip closes hard for the win
- 2013 Breeders' Cup Marathon Results: London Bridge stays the trip
- Breeders' Cup 2013: Friday Open Thread