The pre-entries have been released by the Breeders' Cup. A complete list can be found at this post - 2010 Breeders' Cup: Pre-entries.
We are about 12 hours away from the release of the pre-entries for the 2010 Breeders' Cup but I've got one more update on the potential entries front - Cost of Freedom will skip the Sprint and point to the Cal Cup Sprint at Hollywood on November 6th.
Check back tomorrow morning around 7am Pacific / 10am Eastern for a complete rundown of all pre-entries for the 2010 Breeders' Cup. I'll have the entries for all fourteen divisions up on the front page as soon as possible after they are released.
- Sans Frontieres will not run in the Turf.
UPDATE #8: News about European contenders from the Racing Post (UK):
- Starspangledbanner and Gitano Hernando were not pre-entered for any Breeders' Cup race.
- Aiden O'Brien's Master of Hounds was pre-entered in the Juvenile Turf.
UPDATE #7: A few announcements this afternoon from The Daily Racing Form:
- Todd Pletcher announced that Bribon (FR) was not supplemented to the Sprint, but Allure d'Amour was pre-entered in the Juvenile Filly Turf.
- Fly Down and Morning Line were expected to be pre-entered in the Classic.
- Astrology and Blue Laser were not pre-entered in the Juvenile.
- E Z's Gentleman will not run in the Sprint.
- Awesome Gem will be cross-entered in the Dirt Mile and the Marathon, while Tropic Storm will be cross-entered in both the Dirt Mile and the Turf Sprint. (via DRF.com article linked above)
Still no commitment from the connections of Workforce (GB) regarding the Turf . A decision is supposed to be forthcoming sometime this weekend.
A decision has finally been made - Workforce will ship to Churchill Downs for the Breeders' Cup Turf. He will run if the ground is not "too firm".
- Klammer (GB) was listed as a possible Juvenile Turf runner by the Breeders' Cup earlier this week, but he just won the Horace Hill Stakes at Newbury (GB) this morning which would appear to make him highly unlikely to run at the Breeders' Cup in two weeks.
- Paddy O'Prado will likely bypass the Turf and run in the Classic although his connections will still pre-enter him in both races.
- A Little Warm suffered an injury during training and will be retired from racing. He was likely for the Dirt Mile.
This year's crop of three-year-old has been about a fragile as you'll find in any racing year.
- Silent Joy will pre-enter the Juvenile Fillies Turf.
- Dancing in Silks will not run in the Sprint.
- A press release from The Breeders' Cup today shed even further light on the potential field for all 14 races on Championship weekend. Any names that were on the Breeders' Cup press release that I did not have on my original lists I added in bold.
- In the "some of these trainers need to make up their minds" category, The Usual Q.T. is back in the Mile.
- Pashito the Che will pre-enter the Sprint. Pashito the Che won the Hard Spun Stakes at Delaware on October 13th.
- R Boy Bill is a possibility for the Juvenile Turf depending on how he runs in this Saturday's El Joven Stakes at Retama Park.
- Fame And Glory (GB) and Cape Blanco (IRE) will not go to the Turf, according to trainer Aiden O'Brien, but several other horses he trains are in consideration for Breeders' Cup races: Beethoven (IRE) in the Mile;Bright Horizon (GB) in the Marathon; Together (IRE) in the Juvenile Fillies Turf; Treasure Beach (GB) in the Juvenile Turf.
- As noted yesterday, Rip Van Winkle (IRE) suffered a minor injury and was retired to stud.
- Twirling Candy, stablemate of Sidney's Candy, will bypass the Breeders' Cup and point towards the Malibu on December 26th at Santa Antia.
- Crown of Thorns will likely go in the Dirt Mile rather than the Classic (which is what we've assumed for a while now).
UPDATE #1: A bunch of changes due to some recent announcements (all via DRF.com). Clicking on the links will take you to the corresponding story for each horse.
- Reinterval is now likely for the Filly & Mare Sprint.
- Harmonious has had a change in plans and is now possible for the Filly and Mare Turf.
- Hustler Rustler will not run in the Juvenile Turf.
- Acting Happy will go in the Ladies' Classic.
- Supreme Summit's owners are considering supplementing him to the Sprint.
- Awesome Gem is likely for the Dirt Mile and not the Classic.
- The sale of Sidney's Candy is still up in the air, although trainer John Sadler will continue to train him towards a start in the Mile.
- Wonderlandbynight will not run in the Juvenile Fillies but the maiden Izshelegal and Wayne Catalno's Honey Chile may be entered in the race.
ORIGINAL POST: We've only got a little over a week until the pre-entries for the 2010 Breeders' Cup will be announced* but I thought I'd take a stab at cobbling together a chart for each race and possible entries. I pulled this list together from news reports, results of "Win and You're In" races (when the connections actually indicated they would go to Louisville), and some plain old educated guesses. Some of the names overlap into more that one race if multiple options are available.
Each Breeders' Cup race is limited to 14 starters and several races could see an overflow (especially the Classic). On the other end of the spectrum, the Juvenile Fillies and Marathon look like they could end up a bit on the light side this year, both in numbers and in depth of talent.
There may be a few errors on these lists as it was difficult to find information on some horses to determine whether they were still potential Breeders' Cup starters. At the same time, I think it's a decent snap-shot as to how each race might ultimately shakeout.
*Per a press release from the Breeders' Cup this morning, pre-entries will be announced next Wednesday morning followed by a national media teleconference.
Awesome Gem, Blame, Espoir City (JPN), Etched, First Dude, Fly Down, Gio Ponti, Gitano Hernando (GB), Haynesfield, Lookin At Lucky, Morning Line, Musket Man, Paddy O'Prado, Pleasant Prince, Quality Road, Rail Trip, Richard's Kid, Rip Van Winkle, Zenyatta
Ladies' Classic: Acoma, Acting Happy, Always a Princess, Blind Luck, Crisp, Evening Jewel, Funny Moon, Havre De Grace, Life At Ten, Malibu Prayer, Milwaukee Appeal, Persistently,
Reinterval, Seeking the Title, Switch, Third Dawn, Unrivaled Belle, Zardana,
Turf: Al Khali, Behkabad (FR), Bourbon Bay,
Cape Blanco (IRE), Champ Pegasus, Chinchon (IRE), Dangerous Midge, Debussy (IRE), Fame and Glory (GB), Joshua Tree (IRE), Paddy O'Prado, Plumania (GB), Prince Will I Am, Redwood (GB), Sans Frontieres (IRE), Tazeez, Telling, Winchester, Workforce (GB)
Sprint: Atta Boy Roy, Bank Merger, Big Drama,
Bribon (FR), Cash Refund, Cost of Freedom, Dancing in Silks, E Z's Gentleman, Gilt Edge Girl, Girolamo, Hamazing Destiny, Hollywood Hit, Kinsale King, Latigo Shore, Pashito the Che, Riley Tucker, Rule by Night, Scenic Blast, Smiling Tiger, Supreme Summit, Warrior's Reward, Wildcat Brief, Wise Dan
Turf Sprint: A Unique Treasure, Awakino Cat, Bridgetown, California Flag, Central City, Chamberlain Bridge, Due Date, Elusive Gift, Fatal Bullet, Gilt Edge Girl (GB), Grand Adventure, Kinsale King, Little Nick, Mr. Gruff, Quick Enough, Ravalo, Rose Catherine, Scenic Blast (AUS), Silver Timber, Stradivinsky, Tropic Storn, Unzip Me, West Ocean
F&M Sprint: Champagne d'Oro, Dr. Zic, Dubai Majesty, Evening Jewel, First Passage, Gabby's Golden Gal, Hooh Why, Hour Glass, Informed Decision, Jessica is Back, Moontune Missy, My Jen, Nicole H., Qualia, Rapport, Reinterval, Rightly So, Sara Louise, Secret Gypsy, Sweet August Moon, Switch, Warbling
Astrology, Blue Laser, Boys At Tosconova, Caleb's Posse, Curlinello, Factum, J.B.'s Thunder, J.P.'s Gusto, Jaycito, Madman Diaries, Major Gain, Maybesomaybenot, Mountain Town, Murjan, Riveting Reason, Rogue Romance, Santiva, Stay Thirsty, To Honor and Serve, Uncle Mo, Vengeful Wildcat
Juvenile Fillies: A Z Warrior, Alienation, Awesome Feather, Delightful Mary, Honey Chile, Indian Gracey, Izshelegal, Jordy Y, Joyful Victory, Le Mi Geaux, R Heat Lightning, Soundwave, Tale Untold, Theyskens' Theory, Tell A Kelly, Third Chance, Twelve Pack Shelly,
Juvenile Turf: Air Support , Banned, Biondetti, Cozy Kitten, Deciphering Dreams, Klammer, Major Gain, Mantoba (GB), Master of Hounds, Pluck, Powhatan County, R Boy Bill, Rerouted, Rockin Heat, Rogue Romance, Rough Sailing,
Rustler Hustler, Soldat, Stormy Rush, Titus Mills (IRE), Treasure Beach (GB), Typhoon Slew, Utley, Wilcox Inn
Juvenile Filly Turf: Allure D'Amor, A Brilliant Idea, Arch Support, Bright Horizon (GB), Cloneylass (IRE), Delightful Mary, Fancy Point, Forest Legend, Harlan's Ruby, Jazzy Jessy, Kathmanblu, More Then Real, New Normal, Quiet Oasis (IRE), Roxy Gap, Silent Joy, Street Chimes, Tale Untold, Theyskens' Theory, Tiger Girl, Together (IRE), Winter Memories, Wyomia
Marathon: A.U. Miner, Alcomo (BRZ), Atoned, Awesome Gem, Bright Horizon GB), Dansant (GB), Eldaafer, Failing Knife, Gabriel's Hill, Giant Oak, Man of Iron, Precision Break, Prince Will I Am, Tatahil (IRE), Temple City, Wade Giles (IRE), Where's the Remote, Whispering Gallery (GB)
A Little Warm, Aikenite, Awesome Gem, Bribon (FR), Concord Point, Crown of Thorns, Dakota Phone, Duke of Mischief, Gayego, Here Comes Ben, Hurricane Ike, Mad Flatter, Mine That Bird, Redding Colliery, Thiskyhasnolimit, Tizway, Tropic Storm, Vineyard Haven, Warrior's Reward
Mile: Beethoven (IRE), Courageous Cat, Court Vision, Enriched, Delegator (GB), Get Serious, Get Stormy, Gio Ponti, Goldikova (IRE), Grand Rapport, Lieberian Freighter, Paco Boy (IRE), Proviso (GB),
Rip Van Winkle (IRE), Sidney's Candy, Society's Chairman, Starspangledbanner (AUS), Tazeez, The Usual Q.T., Twirling Candy, Victor's Cry, Yankee Fortune
F&M Turf: Ave (GB), Changing Skies, Check The Label, Dynaslew, Éclair De Lune (GER), Forever Together, Harmonious, Hibaayeb (GB), Hot Cha Cha, Keertana, Midday (GB), Miss Keller, Plumania (GB), Proviso (GB), Reggene (GB), Red Desire (JPN), Sarafiina (FR), Shared Account, Turning Top (IRE)