Jersey Town, ignored at the wagering windows and sent off at odds of 34/1, grinded out a victory in a stretch-long duel with Haynesfield to win the Grade 1 Cigar Mile at Aqueduct on Saturday.
Going into this race, the major questions surrounded the horses coming out of the Breeders' Cup and whether or not they would be in top form today. The two horses that ran well at Churchill each ran a decent race, while the two that had misfired on Breeders' Cup weekend continued to show form that was well below their best.
Haynesfield and Girolomo both ran solid races, finishing second and third, respectively. Vineyard Haven and Musket Man both threw in clunkers and were no factor.
Results Chart (via DRF.com)
In other graded stakes action on Saturday:
- Kathmanblu followed up her 3rd place finish in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Filly Turf with a win in today's Grade 2 Golden Rod on the main track at Churchill.
- Santiva won the Kentucky Jockey Club over Astrology and Major Gain.
- No Such Word won the Gazelle over Awesome Maria and Seeking the Title.
- Dixie City won the Grade 2 Demoiselle over Believe in A.P. and Tap for Luck.
- To Honor and Server won a scratched-depleted Remsen over Mucho Macho Man and Mountain Town.
- Victor's Cry won the Citation at Hollywood Park.