Sitting off of a slow pace set by 2011 Kentucky Oaks winner Plum Pretty, 2/1 favorite Royal Delta powered to the front in the final furlongs to win the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic in relatively easy fashion at Churchill Downs. It's Tricky got up for the place and Pachattack rounded out the trifecta.
The victory by Royal Delta in the Ladies' Classic wrapped up a fairly wild first day of the 2011 Breeders' Cup, a day that would see a parade logical horses mixed in with 20/1 shockers.
- Bob Baffert's Secret Circle ($2.80) got the day started by dominating the inaugural running of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint.
- In the Juvenile Fillies Turf, Stephanie's Kitten ($14.20) unleashed a furious late charge to deny a game Stopshoppingmaria in the final furlongs.
- The first bomb of the day rolled home in the Filly & Mare Sprint when Musical Romance ($42.20) skimmed the rail and held off Switch and Her Mile.
- My Miss Aurelia ($6.20) proved that she is the real deal by dominating the Juvenile Fillies as the 2/1 favorite.
- In almost a replay of last year's race, Perfect Shirl used a strong late run to upset the favored Europeans and win the Filly & Mare Turf. Last year, Shared Account pulled off a similar feat when she beat Midday (GB).