Astrology, a runner-up to Santiva in the Grade 2 Kentucky Jockey Club and the winner of the Grade 3 Iroquois, will make his three-year-old debut in the $800,000 Grade 3 Sunland Derby on Sunday. The Sunland Derby is the 12th race on the Sunday card at Sunland Park and is schedule to go to post at 5:45 Mountain Time (7:45 ET / 4:45 PT).
Twelve other horses will line-up alongside Astrology, including:
- Beer Meister - winner of the Turf Paradise Derby on February 26th.
- Nacho Saint - 4th place finisher in the G3 Gotham behind Stay Thirsty, Norman Asbjornson and Toby's Corner.
- Sinai - 5th in the San Vicente behind The Factor, Sway Away and Premier Pegasus.
- Fusa Code - winner of the Boarderland Derby at Sunland back on February 26th.
- Ruler On Ice - A son of Roman Ruler that ships in from Parx after recently winning an N1X at 8 1/2 furlongs.
- Behold de Buy - Runner-up to Fusa Code in the Boarderland Derby.
Considering how strong the San Vicente has turned out, Sinai has got to be considered a major player in this spot. Check out the splits for Sinai in the San Vicente below. Notice anything strange?
A sub :21 split going into the half-mile? I know, I know - that's par for the course at Santa Anita these days. Still, it's hard not to have a double-take when your looking at splits like that.
Astrology, for all his success last fall, is coming off a major layoff and needs to show improvement form his juvenile form to win first time off-the-shelf.
|1||Ruler On Ice||J. Valdivia, Jr.||K. Breen||8/1|
|2||R Skydiver||A. Medellin||H. Dominguez||12/1|
|3||Fusa Code||J. Shepherd||S. Asmussen||8/1|
|4||It's My Party||J. Bourdieu||C. Hartman||12/1|
|5||Behold de Buy||K. Tohill||J. Salisbury||12/1|
|6||Supreme Ruler||J. Court||W. Fires||20/1|
|7||Sinai||M. Garcia||B. Baffert||6/1|
|8||Nacho Saint||J. Bravo||K. Breen||7/2|
|9||Twice the Appeal||C. Santiago Reyes||J. Bonde||15/1|
|10||Beer Meister||G. Corbett||M. Ortiz, Sr.||15/1|
|11||Astrology||J. Leparoux||S. Asmussen||5/2|