With $500,000 in graded earnings on the line at Turfway Park, the Grade 3 Sprial Stakes will feature a fairly wide-open field of three-year-olds running nine furlongs on the Polytrack. Due to the changeover at Santa Anita from synthetic to dirt, the Spiral is the first poly-prep of 2011. Among the notable entries in the Spiral are:
- Positive Response - Won the John Battaglia Memorial at Turfway on March 5th.
- Thirtyfirststreet - 4th to Anthony's Cross in the Grade 2 Lewis at Santa Anita. Broke his maiden at Hollywood Park on a synthetic surface.
- Rescind the Trade - Finished 5th (beaten 10 3/4 lengths) in the Whirlaway at Aqueduct on February 5th. He'll try Polytrack for the first time.
- Beachcombing - Raced first three times on turf, including a 2nd to Data Link in an N1X at Gulfstream on January 23rd.
- King Congie - Won the Hallandale Beach on the turf at Gulfstream Park on 2/6.
- Decisive Moment - 5th in the G2 Risen Star on 2/19; won the listed Jean Laffitte at Delta on 1/14; 2nd to Gourmet Dinner in the Delta Jackpot.
- Glint - Scratched out of the Rebel to ship to Turfway.
I've only had a chance to take a brief look at the PPs for this race, but I already like the looks of King Congie in this spot. He didn't run much at all on dirt but has looked like a different horse on the lawn and when stretching out to two-turns (three straight wins). The switch to the synthetic is a bit of a question mark, but I'm willing to take a chance if the odds are right.
The Spiral is the 10th race on Saturday's Turfway card and is scheduled to go to post at 5:31 ET / 2:31 PT.
|1||Preachintothedevil||J. Alvarado||G. Contessa||15/1|
|2||Positive Response||J. Couton||W. Morey||3/1|
|3||Thirtyfirststreet||K. Carmouche||D. O'Neill||12/1|
|4||Animal Kingdom||A. Garcia||H. Motion||5/1|
|5||Son of Posse||R. Mojica, Jr.||R. Vitiello||50/1|
|6||Rescind the Trade||J. Valdivia, Jr.||R. Violette||12/1|
|7||Beachcombing||L. Goncalves||C. Brown||12/1|
|8||King Congie||J. Castellano||T. Albertrani||4/1|
|9||Taptowne||R. Prescott||W. Mogge||20/1|
|10||Decisive Moment||K. Clark||J. Arias||5/1|
|11||Twinspired||V. Lebron||M. Maker||10/1|
|12||Glint||G. Saez||K. Gorder||10/1|