Ruler On Ice, a longshot at odds of 24/1, spoiled the Animal Kingdom and Shackleford party in New York. After taking the lead at the top of the stretch, Ruler On Ice held off Stay Thirsty at the wire to win the 2011 Belmont Stakes.
Favorite Animal Kingdom had a disastrous start from the gate as he stumbled and almost threw jockey John Velazquez from the irons. From there he was well too far back to have a chance to win. He finished sixth
Preakness winner Shackleford set the pace, as everyone knew he would do, but didn't have enough left in the tank to hold off the rest of the field when it came time to roll towards the judge. Shackleford finished fifth.
Ruler On Ice is a son of Roman Ruler by a Saratoga Six mare (Champagne Glow). He is trained by Kelly Breen and was ridden by Jose Valdivia, Jr. Congratulations to the connections.
WIN: Rule On Ice ($51.50, $26.00, $13.60)
PLACE: Stay Thirsty ($19.40, $10.80)
SHOW: Brilliant Speed ($7.90)
$1 Exacta: $464.00
$1 Trifecta: $4,134.00
$0.10 Superfecta: $3,702.60
$1 Double: $994.00
$1 Pick 3: $10,502.50
$0.50 Pick 4: $35,524.25
$2 Pick 6: $20,530 (5-of-6)
Full Order of Finish:
1 - Ruler On Ice
2 - Stay Thirsty
3 - Brilliant Speed
4 - Nehro
5 - Shackleford
6 - Animal Kingdom
7 - Mucho Macho Man
8 - Santiva
9 - Monzon
10 - Master of Hounds
11 - Prime Cut
12 - Isn't He Perfect
Video replay below the jump.
- No excuses for Shackleford as he got exactly the pace he wanted and could have expected. Combine that with a track that favored speed all day and it appears that he just isn't a mile and a half horse. No shame in that...there aren't many 12 furlong horses in America.
- Animal Kingdom...well, you can't have a much worse start. He made up good ground going into the far turn, but with a speed favoring track and slow splits, he just couldn't get there.
- Mike Repole almost got a TC win with his #2, Stay Thirsty. Big run from that colt.
- I guess the shades made all the difference to Ruler On Ice. Good move by trainer Kelly Breen.
- In the end, the horses close to the lead were the horse that had the most success in the race. Ruler On Ice and Stay Thirsty were close to Shack the whole way. When the Preakness winner could find no more, they were there to pounce.
- I think Animal Kingdom ran a huge race when you consider what he had to go through. Draw a line through the Belmont and look forward to seeing what he can do this summer. Owner Barry Irwin suggested he could go to the Arlington Million on the grass in August. That would be a good fit for this colt.
- The early part of the card at Belmont was all chalk...and then things went insane for races 8-9-10-11. The $0.50 Pick 4 brought back over $35,000. Not bad for a day's work.
- And with that, the 2011 Triple Crown season is over. Thanks to everyone that read and commented during the season. The site hit highs in readership over the last couple of months and I appreciate all who stopped by to visit, both longtime readers and first-time followers.
Royal Ascot kicks off next week, Del Mar and Saratoga are right down the road, and the Breeders' Cup is on the horizon. There is always racing going on somewhere!