I've updated the Graded Stakes Results and Divisional Standing database with all of the recent races. To view the document, clink on the link below to go to the Google Doc file. The tap "Divisional Top 10" summarizes the leaders of each division at this point in the season. Any and all errors are my own.
I wanted to do something a little different this week in order to try and get a snapshot of which races have rated the highest on the speed figure systems through the first seven months of the years. I don't have the Bris figures from this past weekend as of yet, so this analysis is a little bit incomplete, but we'll go ahead and do this for fun.
I sorted all of the graded stakes winners by division and then highlighted the top performances by speed figure under Beyer, Bris and Equibase, and noted which races ranked the highest under each calculation (those figures are highlighted in yellow on the Google Doc). In some divisions, the different methods are pretty close in terms of which races they view as the top this season. In other areas, they are very, very different. Below are a couple of notes as to how the various speed figure systems have viewed some of the races;
- Looking at the 3YO Colts: Both Beyer and Bris give their highest figure to I'll Have Another's win in the Preakness. Equibase awarded their highest figure to Paynter for his win in Sunday's Haskell. (Note: Bris has yet to publish their Haskell number).
UPDATE: The Bris numbers are out for this past weekend and Paynter's Haskell is now the co-highest figure from Bris, equaling the 109 of I'll Have Another from the Preakness. That leaves Beyer as the only one of the three to not rate Paynter's Haskell equal to, or better than the Preakness.
- The 3YO Fillies are all over the map. Beyer likes Grace Hall's win in the Delaware Oaks; Bris likes Broadway's Alibi and her win in the Forward Gal, and Equibase gave top marks to On Fire Baby's win in the Honey Bee.
- Only two divisions have the same horse/race with the top figure under all three systems: the Dirt Mile with Shackleford's win in the Met Mile (Beyer: 115; Bris: 115; Equibase: 121), and the Dirt Sprint Fillies with Groupie Doll's win in the Humana Distaff (Beyer: 112; Bris: 109; Equibase: 114)
- The Classic division is also a bit "all over the map". The highest Beyer figure goes to Game On Dude for his win in the Californian. Bris awarded their top figure to Hymn Book following his win in the Donn Handicap. And Equibase gave out a huge 129 to Nate's Mineshaft after his win in the New Orleans Handicap.
- There isn't enough data to look at the two-year-old races yet, but we should be able to start forming some opinions in another month or two.
Below is the complete list, by division, at how the figures makers have rated this year's performances.
|Beyer||Preakness||I'll Have Another||109|
|Bris||Preakness/Haskell||I'll Have Another/Paynter||109|
|Beyer||Delaware Oaks||Grace Hall||103|
|Bris||Forward Gal||Broadway's Alibi||108|
|Equibase||Honeybee||On Fire Baby||111|
|Beyer||Californian||Game On Dude||115|
|Bris||Donn Hcp.||Hymn Book||115|
|Equibase||New Orleans Hcp.||Nates Mineshaft||129|
|Beyer||Fleur de Lis||Royal Delta||110|
|Bris||Fleur de Lis||Royal Delta||108|
|Equibase||Sixty Sails||She's All In||121|
|Dirt Mile Fillies||Race||Winner||Figure|
|Beyer||Azeri||Tiz Me Sue||102|
|Equibase||Azeri||Tiz Me Sue||114|
|Beyer||Triple Bend Hcp.||Camp Victory||112|
|Equibase||General George||Yawanna Twist
|Dirt Sprint Fillies||Race||Winner||Figure|
|Beyer||Humana Distaff||Groupie Doll||112|
|Bris||Humana Distaff||Groupie Doll||109|
|Equibase||Humana Distaff||Groupie Doll||114|
|Beyer||Woodford Turf||Little Mike||102|
|Bris||Robert Dick Mem.||Starformer||103|
|Bris||King Edward||Riding the River||105|
|Equibase||King Edward||Riding the River||116|
|Turf Mile Fillies||Race||Winner||Figure|
|Beyer||Just a Game||Tapitsfly||100|
|Bris||Distaff Turf Mile||Hungry Island||105|
|Equibase||Distaff Turf Mile||Hungry Island||112|