Super Ninety Nine, the runaway winner of the Grade 3 Southwest Stakes on Feb. 18 leads a field of 11 in this Saturday's Grade 2 Rebel Stakes (Post time: 6:48 pm Eastern; TV: HRTV). In his dominating win in the Southwest, Super Ninety Nine broke quickly from the gate and burst out to a one and a half length lead over the sloppy and sealed Oaklawn dirt track. By the time he reached the top of the stretch, he had put away the entire field and was on his way to an 11 1/4 length victory.
Trained by Bob Baffert, Super Ninety Nine is a son of Pulpit out of the Unbridled's Song mare, Exogenttic. His dam was a perfect five-for-five when routing on dirt. (Hey, look, a pedigree profile of Super Ninety Nine by TFTribe!) He was bred by Northwest Farms, one of the top breeders in the state of Washington (!).
Joining Super Ninety Nine in the Rebel field are:
- Carve: Undefeated in two lifetime starts and stepping up to stakes company for the first time for trainer Steve Asmussen. He won the first two races in his career at a mile and a sixteenth.
- Treasury Bill: Second in the G2-San Vicente at Santa Anita on Feb. 17; this is his first try at two turns.
- Texas Bling: A good second in the ungraded Smarty Jones before flopping badly in the G3-Southwest when he finished 9th, beaten 21 1/4 lengths.
- Delhomme: A solid third in the G2-Remsen in his most recent start; he's making his first start since Nov. 24th.
- Den's Legacy: A consistent runner that's finished third or better in his last six consecutive starts, including second n the G2-Lewis and G3-Sham, and s third place finish in the G1-CashCall Futurity on Dec. 15.
- Oxbow: Winner of the G3-Lecomte back on Jan. 19 and the fourth place finisher in the G2-Risen Star at the Fair Grounds on Feb. 23.
- Will Take Charge: Won the Smarty Jones back on Jan. 21 but didn't put in much of a run when finishing 6th, beaten 18 lengths in the Southwest Stakes.
Below are the entries and post positions for Saturday's Rebel Stakes.
Morning line odds will be added when released.
|1||2||Carve||C. Nakatani||S. Asmussen||15/1|
|2||1||Treasury Bill||J. Talamo||R. Ellis||5/1|
|3||3||Texas Bling||M. Berry||D. Durham||30/1|
|4||4||Delhomme||G. Gomez||T. Pletcher||7/2|
|5||5||Hardrock Eleven||T. Thompson||D. Banks||50/1|
|6||6||Den's Legacy||R. Albarado||B. Baffert||8/1|
|7||7||Will Take Charge||J. Court||D. Lukas||15/1|
|8||8||Stormy Holiday||D. Bell||M. Robertson||30/1|
|9||1a||Title Contender||L. Quinonez||W. Catalano||5/1|
|10||9||Oxbow||M. Smith||D. Lukas||4/1|
|11||10||Super Ninety Nine||R. Bejarano||B. Baffert||3/2|