Kentucky Derby winner Orb, Belmont and Jim Dandy winner Palace Malice, and Haskell winner Verrazano lead the way in the Grade 1 Travers Stakes, the Mid-summer Derby at Saratoga on Saturday, August 24th. Verrazano is the 2/1 morning line favorite, followed by Palace Malice at 5/2 and Orb at 4/1. Post time for the Travers is 5:46 PM Eastern with television coverage provided by NBC.
Joining the trio of favorites in the Travers are:
- Romansh: Second to Transparent in the ungraded Curlin Stakes last time out at Saratoga.
- Golden Soul: Second in the Derby but no where near the winners in each of his last two races.
- Will Take Charge: A good second in the Jim Dandy after a trio of bad results in the Triple Crown.
- Moreno: Won the G2-Dwyer back in early July and was third in the Jim Dandy.
- War Dancer: Won the G2-Virginia Derby on the lawn at Colonial Downs back on July 13th but has never won on dirt. The connections might be hoping for some rain this weekend.
- Transparent: Winner of the aforementioned Curlin Stakes and sixth in the G3-Gotham way back in early March.
The Travers under card features the Test, Ballston Spa and King's Bishop stakes events, with the King's Bishop drawing an jam-packed field of 14 three-year-olds for the seven furlong journey.
Below are the entries and post positions for Saturday's Travers.
|1||Romansh||J. Castellano||T. Albertrani||12/1|
|2||Orb||J. Rosario||S. McGaughey||4/1|
|3||Verrazano||J. Velazquez||T. Pletcher||2/1|
|4||Golden Soul||R. Albarado||D. Stewart||20/1|
|5||Will Take Charge||L. Saez||D.W. Lukas||10/1|
|6||Moreno||J. Ortiz||E. Guillot||12/1|
|7||War Dancer||A. Garcia||K. McPeek||15/1|
|8||Palace Malice||M. Smith||T. Pletcher||5/2|
|9||Transparent||I. Ortiz, Jr.||K. McLaughlin||10/1|