Untapable stalked the early speed of Sugar Shock and My Miss Sophia, rolled to the lead at the top of the stretch and kicked on for home win the 2014 Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs. My Miss Sophie finished up well and held second while Unbridled Forever rounded out the trifecta. Rosalind closed from the back of the pack to finish fourth.
Prior to the start of the race, long shot Empress of Midway flipped in the starting gate and was scratched from the race. The filly jogged off the track with a pony and appeared to come out of the incident without any serious injury.
The lilies barely had time to settle on Untapable before questions emerged as to whether the connections are considering sending the filly to Pimlico for a shot against the boys in the Preakness. Given the way she dominated the Oaks, it's possible we could see this filly attempt to duplicate the Rachel Alexandra Oaks/Preakness double. The results of Saturday's Derby, and the perceived strength or weakness of the winner, will likely have a major impact as to where the connections ultimately decide to enter Untpable for her next start.
Untapable is a three-year-old filly by Tapit out of a Prized mare (Fun House), trained by Steve Asmussen, owned by Winchell Thoroughbreds, and ridden by Rosie Napravnik. Her victory in the Oaks is Untapable's fourth victory against graded stakes company; she won the G2-Pocahontas at Churchill last fall, and the G3-Rachel Alexandra and the G2-Fair Grounds Oaks at the Fair Grounds this spring.
In earlier stakes races on the Churchill Downs card:
- Moonshine Mullin ($15.80) won the Alysheba at odds of 6/1, fighting back along the rail to beat Golden Ticket by a head at the wire. Will Take Charge was a bit sluggish leaving the gate, never really got into the race at any time, and finished a shocking 6th as the 3/5 favorite.
- A Little Bit Sassy ($10.20) stalked the early speed of Istanford en route to winning the Edgewood at 8.5f on the grass.
- Fiftyshadesofgold ($6.20) beat Milam by a half-length in the G3-Eight Belles.
- Marchman ($8.80) backed up his victory at Keeneland with a score in the G3-Twin Spires Turf Sprint.
- On Fire Baby ($5.20) won the G1-La Troienne
Below are the results, payouts and Trakus fractions for the 2014 Kentucky Oaks:
|11-My Miss Sophia||$4.20||$4.40|
|Base||Bet||Combo||Payout||Pays to -|